Friday, January 29, 2010

Happy Birthday Kansas




I'm a born and raised Kansas girl. Every kid raised in KS knows that Jan. 29 is Kansas Day. Growing up, every year in elementary school today was a special and fun day. We'd make homemade, from a butter churn butter and put it on saltine crackers, if you've NEVER had fresh from the church butter, you do NOT know what you're missing and I feel sad for you! Oh it's so good!! I can still taste it in my memory! LOL

I love Kansas. It's the geographical center of the United States. The wheatfields in the fall, there's nothing like them, sunflowers that grow wild in ditches, rolling hills (obviously I'm NOT talking about Western KS!). I grew up in a small town, aprox 30 miles from Topeka, which is not a huge city, but if you need more than a WalMart or what's offered on our town square or grocery stores...you go there. When Chad and I retire, we will not retire in my hometown, although it's a great town and I had a good childhood, it's where our daughter is buried and we'll be buried one day...but we'll retire close to Ft. Riley.
Happy Birthday Kansas.






5 comments:

Amanda said...

Well Happy Birthday Kansas from Minnesota! :)

Blessings-
Amanda

Julie Danielle said...

I haven't ever been...just Kansas City area in MO. Kansas day sounds like a fun tradition!

He & Me + 3 said...

Very cool. Happy Birthday to your home state:)

Kathryn said...

Thanks for your comment about the diapers!
Wow, I did not know they put wood chips in regular diapers, that is so crazy!
Thanks for all the help, and advice, I am still not sure what I will do, but I will probably do a little bit off both! Thanks again!

By the way Happy Birthday Kansas! Haha I have never been there!

God, My Savior Forever! said...

Thank you for your sweet comment my dear friend and sis-in-Christ! I loved thi spost because it painted such a vivid picture of your cute lil hometown! I am def a small town kinda girl so I would love to visit some day! Now...you have enlightened my sense of taste and now I'm dying to try that oh so deliciously sounding butter...yep...I am def missing out. You can always make a friend's day and send me some;D On another note...reading about your lil girl who passed..reminds me of the movie "my sister's keeper" I truly admire families who go through such hardship. You guys are sucn an amazing example of God's love and strength!

Hugs,
Susan