Saturday, January 23, 2010

Trying and Doing new things

Today as a joint effort PWOC and our Local Hospitality House did a Craft Day! We could bring craft item we wanted to work on...from knitting, crotcheting, scrapbooking, stamping, etc. A few people scrapped, but most of us learned to knit!! We had 2 knitting pro's, ok so they wouldn't call themselves pro's, but let me tell you they are 2 extremely talented women when it comes to knitting!! I borrowed my friends knitting needles and got to keep the yarn we were working with. I'm going to buy me some knitting needles, and hope to learn this and figure it out so I can start making things. My first thing will probably be a baby wash cloth. Both ladies make beautiful hats for their kids and their family, I WANT to be able to do that! For those of you who have that creative gene...you have been given a gift, for those of us who have not....it's hard, especially when we WANT be creative. If you only knew how much scrapbooking items I had and stamping, oh it's a sin. I WANT to be crafty and creative, desperately!

Here are the things that I want to learn to do:

Knit (I'm learning!!)
Crotchet
Sew (with machine, and some basic hand things would be handy)
Scrapbook
Stamp
Learn more about and become a better photographer


There are other things I'd like to do as well, but those" are the things I want to do the
most in the next say 10 years.

So share with me what you'd like to learn to do, or become better at doing!!


9 comments:

Julie Danielle said...

Craft days are so much fun :)

I am a photographer & I scrapbook but that is about as far as I can go with crafts. I seem to have a hard time with the other stuff. I learned to knit last year but don't seem to have much time for it. I have a sewing machine I have never really used.

Joanna said...

I'm the queen of unfinished projects/objects (UFOs) and always have several in process. With Mark gone, I set up the sewing station on his side of the room and have been trying to quilt away my fabric stash, but still seem to have an awful lot. However, I think I go through phases depending on where we are, what the circumstances are, and what resources are available. In Bamberg, I had a lot of time at home to stitch and a few hours alone on the weekends to enjoy framing, so I did a lot of stitching and framing. Here, the bug is quilting, but I still love my stitching and plan to get back to it once I have to pack up the sewing. For the next assignment, I really have to tackle my scrapbooking, because I'm carrying around six rubbermaid containers of supplies, pictures, and stuff I've collected for scrapbooks. It would really be easier to carry around completed scrapbooks instead of the mess I have now. Hopefully the scrapbooking bug will bite as we get to West Point.

Karen Hossink said...

Oh, I love to scrapbook, but hardly ever do it...I think the last time I did it was in May, maybe June.
If I had that creative gene, I think I would like to learn how to knit. As it is, I'm just trying to keep my pictures in one place so that if I ever get around to scrapping again, I'll have everything I need. *sigh*

trooppetrie said...

would you believe the ladies in my homeschool group bought me a sewing machine as a going away present. i made a skirt my first night. i just wish we did not move in 10 days and had more time to learn.

Kathryn said...

Thanks for the comments on my military tips post!

About the FRG I wasn't sure. My husband is Air Force, and our Family Readiness Center has the list, and I figured the army's FRG equaled the same! Thanks for letting me know though!

I agree with your comment. I do not think that other girl is a Christian so she brings a different point of view. Buying a house is definitely not always the best like you said, because I know a lot of people who have a hard time selling. You have to do what is right for your own family I guess.

School-wise I plan on homeschooling or sending my kids to Christian school. I do hear the schools on base are pretty good, but it's still public in my opinion, and I am not very fond of what they teach. You are definitely right about the daycare thing too!

I totally agree with you about the church thing 100%!! We as Christians definitely need that.

I am so glad you enjoy my blog, thanks for stopping by!

Amanda said...

I would love to learn more about photography and SEWING and baking. I am a novice at them all, er, NO EXPERIENCE at all in sewing... and would love to be more confident!

Blessings-
Amanda

Emily said...

I'd LOVE to learn to sew.... there would be so many things I could make.

I read your comment on my blog.. yes, I always make sure to put her handle down on the car seat.. and we actually had Lincoln turned around facing forward when he first turned one, but then I seen a video that scared me to death about small babies being in danger when facing forward because their necks aren't strong enough if you were to get into an accident. We turned him right back around... will probably leave him until he is 2 or maybe 3.

Amanda Jo said...

I'm with you! Aside from learning how to breakdance I'd like to learn how to knit! I LOVE knitted scarves and hats but I have 0 knitting talent!

Stick with it and I am SURE you can do it! I just don't have the patience and tend to get bored fast!

Web designing said...

Hi trying new things is a very useful idea and i must say that its a very good site where i get lot of information. Thanks for sahring

.j-

Accounting Services